We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Head Grower 1 to join our team at our Aurora, OR site. Smith Gardens is a Wholesale Nursery company that is headquartered in Bellingham Washington, and has been family owned for over 100 years! The Aurora site opened in 1997, and is located just 30 minutes south of Portland, Oregon in the beautiful Willamette Valley.
This position will lead the IPM and Plant Maintenance teams, while working closely with the growing team to consistently produce high quality plants. Work to improve current IPM strategies, and explore new strategies. Provide quality control on incoming plant material. Improve plug/liner handling process and work closely with both growing and production teams to ensure quality is maintained, and standards are met. Develop scouting standard work, IPM best practices, implementation of BCA program where applicable. Lead the plant maintenance team in developing standard work in pinching. Work closely with shipping department to ensure we ship the last flat.
• Inspection of incoming plant material, and oversee the care of young plants, including but not limited to trimming, PGR applications, pest control, moisture management.
• Coordination and communication with production team regarding priority plantings, special planting instructions, etc.
• Development and implementation of comprehensive weed control plan, for crops as well as non- crop areas.
• Support IPM team in scouting, developing rotations, implementation of BCA programs, coordinating range closures with other departments.
• Lead the plant maintenance team in developing standard work for pinching, trimming, deadheading. Scheduling plant maintenance activities.
• Work closely with shipping team to determine plant maintenance needs prior to shipping, and working to ship the last flat.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing, in person, and via phone or radio with all levels of staff.
• Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, both verbal and written.
• Strong leadership, teambuilding, and interpersonal skills.
• Positive customer service attitude and work ethic.
• Maintain worker protection standards, promoting a safe work environment. Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize for results within a fast-paced working environment.
• Effective time management with the ability to balance floor and office time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field, three years’ industry experience, or an equivalent combination.
• Comprehensive knowledge on production of quality plant material.
• Two years’ previous supervisory experience.
• Experience with perennials and annuals are required.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
• Pesticide applicator’s license (can be obtained once hired).
• Knowledge of PRIVA and ARGUS environmental control systems.
• Work long hours as needed during busy season, including weekends.
• Work in both an office and warehouse environment.
• Office environment, long hours sitting in front of a computer.
• Continuously walk, stand, bend, kneel (and remain working below knee-level) as well as reaching overhead, and from side to side for long periods of time.
• Work indoors and outdoors, in seasonal temperatures and conditions.
• Lift up to 50 pounds in an environment that is often hot.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.